12.14.2011

Ornaments

Every year when I decorate my tree, I am reminded of so many loved ones, and some really great memories. I've made so many ornaments over the years. I also like to buy them when I travel so I can remember my vacations when I put them on the tree. And of course, I have two collections that are all time favorites. 

I have been a fan of the sport of figure skating for years. (Though I'm really not much of a skater at all!). It's something that was passed on from my grandmother to my mom to me.When I was young, and there was a competition on TV, my Gram would call and tell me to let my mom know that we needed to turn the channel to ABC. I don't follow as closely these days, except in Olympic years. But in the early 90s, I could spell just about any Russian figure skater's name you would ever want to know. 

This love of skating is represented on my tree. Every year, my aunt (mom's sister) buys me another skate ornament. I've got quite a collection by now! Someday, maybe I'll have a tree that's just skates. 


Another collection that I love, that is not still growing is my collection of Hallmark Scarletts. Gone With the Wind is an all time favorite movie and book, so I love this element on my tree as well. My cousin (daughter of skate ornament aunt) and I read the book around the same time when we were young, so it's yet another element on my tree that reminds me of my family, and makes me feel like they are a part of my celebration, even if I don't see them very often. 


I still might try so share some of the ornaments that I have made over the years, but I need to get some better pictures first. 

What's on your tree?

6 comments:

  1. At this point, nothing. It isn't even up yet. Those skate ornaments are beautiful. I want to do a post on ornaments as soon as I get my tree up. My ornaments are so special to me. My favorite is a wooden star that is painted yellow and has a cute smile face on it. Ever since I was little it has to hang right above the nativity scene under the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you please-please-please (pretty please) leave your Scarlet collection to me in your will?

    Love it. What a cool idea.

    My tree had handblown glass ornaments and every year I add one to symbolize my year. This year...I'm stumped. Sill working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the skate ornaments! I've never seen GWTW ornaments before, very cool!

    I love frogs, so people give me frog ornaments. But I'm a sucker for a beautiful ornament, no matter what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your skate ornaments, what a fun idea, you should totally have a skate ornament theme next year through all your decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love theme trees so I say a skate tree would be great! You soooooooo need to do that! My goal is to (someday) have a tree in every room of the house. Right now we have 3 & my Mom is getting me my 4th for Christmas this year! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No tree for us this year sadly - we're going to be on a trip for Christmas so not much point. But your tree looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I'm looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.